Friday, March 28, 2008

Credit where it's due.

OK- nobody shits on the NHL promotions more than I do.

That ridiculous gladiator campaign, the Keanu Reeves "Come and Get it Boys" spot, that thing where they had the chick form Heroes licking the Cup, whatever. The NHL has traditionally been awful at promoting itself.

My stance has always been, if you want to see hockey, show hockey at it's best. Show the game, show the plays show the history. Or, barring that, just let Canadians do it. Seriously, they have a better feel for this kind of stuff.

Then, this clip that I just saw for the first time during tonight's Flyers/Devils game (Lets go Devils! In Regulation!) finally did the trick.

This here is an excellent, excellent hockey promo.

Gave me goosebumps when I saw it for the first time, then did once again when I watched it here on YouTube.



Great job NHL- never let it be said I don't give credit when it's due.

1 comment:

THE NEXT BIG QUESTION said...

I thought you made an excellent point about letting the game market itself. When you market something you have to look at the strengths and weaknesses of what you're marketing and the NHL's greatest strength is the game itself. I ended up writing a post in my blog about this topic. It's at nhlbusinessblog.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. Anyways, you've got a great blog! Keep up the good work!