Thursday, May 18, 2006

Well, I didn't see that coming.

A shutout.

Dang.

Well, I didn't get my game seven, but I did get quite a game, and when a team plays that hard, you have to give full marks to the Edmonton Oilers.

While the critics will still grumble about Joe Thornton in the playoffs, the fact is, you can't pin this on Joe. If anything, I'm curious to see the extent of Cheechoo's injurys. You have to credit the team defense of Edmonton for playing their hearts out, not relying on any one guy and backchecking like their very lives depended on it.

Add that to the fact that Dwayne Roloson has the best save of the tournament, and Michael Peca now has the best goal of the tournament, well- the Edmonton Oilers now have everything but the best hit of the tournament, which belongs to...Buffalo.

Hmm.

2 comments:

sven patrick larsen said...

Hey Ritch,

How about a shoutout for Ryan Smyth, the "hockey player's hockey player". Always answers the call be it his country or his team.

He's the heart and soul of the Oilers and a big reason Chris Pronger can concentrate on being brilliant 90% of the time and making bonehead plays the other 10% of the time.

Between Smyth and Peca, the Oilers have to have the edge in leadership on any team left in the tournament.

Patrick

colelab said...

Great game indeed. To bad three teams could not be on the ice for the Cup. Canes, Sabres and Oilers are all great hockey.

Anaheim? Well maybe if I can stomach to watch disney on ice. Sure they are considering changing the name but they are removing the wrong part of their name. The have resolved that a Duck can't be Mighty? Hey if a Squirrel can be Mighty a duck sure can, but the real problem I have is the title Duck. Maybe the Anaheim Seals, kind of a throw back to the California Seals. Besides we could really use a yellow and green team and think of the fun as fans throw cans of tuna to the ice. Good times.