Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Great White Way!

Well, I didn't watch any hockey last night.

No, when Edmonton and Anaheim were facing off at 9:00 PM Eastern Time, officially kicking off the Western Conference finals, I was guzzling a vodka tonic in the lobby of the Al Hirschfeld Theater, steeling myself to go back into the theater for the second act of "The Wedding Singer," the Broadway show based on the Adam Sandler movie of the same name.

I know.

Just take it easy here, people.

I know it's tempting, but before you blow up the comments section with a series of crude accusations challenging not only my taste in nightlife, but my future eligibility in the armed services, I implore you to hang in there for the circumstances that got me there.

First off, my girlfriend's mother is in town all weekend for her birthday, and she loves to go to Broadway shows.

Second, my old comedy pal Stephen Lynch plays the lead, and I was thrilled to see him make good.

Third, my girlfriend's ex-roommate, a smart, talented guy named Matt Sklar, wrote all the music and we got to hang around with him after and watch all the actors come by and kiss his ass.

It was pretty sweet.

And the show?

Well, it was a Broadway remake of an Adam Sandler movie, and if there's one thing I dislike more than Broadway remakes, it's Adam Sandler movies, so needless to say, I went in with low expectations. As a result, I actually enjoyed it, but that may have been because I know people who were involved, and I am always a huge fan of any show that hires my friends. That said, the crowd loved it, Steven was great, and it was definitely less embarrassing than the jerseys of the Mighty Ducks. I could have done without the foul mouthed old lady, but you can read about that here .

I caught the second and third period of game one of Carolina-Buffalo today, and it was exactly what I expected, with Buffalo dominating the second period, and Carolina refusing to roll over and fighting to the very end. Either team could win this series and I'll be watching as much of it as I can.

Still, thank God it was a day game.

Tonight, we see The Drowsy Chaperone .

No comments: