Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Stevie Y


Well, what a night.


Steve Yzerman, truly one of the NHL's greatest players, had his number retired last night at the Joe. I'm a little torn by Versus's (Versuses?) decision to show the ceremony then cut away to the Blackhawks/Blues game, but I suppose I'm glad that there was a media group out there who realized that to American hockey fans all over the country, Stevie Y was a big deal. Check out what I wrote about him on the eve of his last game in the NHL.


He was quiet, unassuming, reserved, and humble everywhere but on the ice, where he was quiet, unassuming, reserved and lethal.


For the best coverage of the night, go see Christy's photos (she took the one I have there) over at Behind The Jersey. Honorable mention goes to Abel to Yzerman, who I didn't even know was back (I've been a little AWOL for the past month) , who writes with tremendous eloquence about not only Yzerman, but the pain that all hockey fans feel when something HUGE happens in the world of hockey and the sports media ignores it. Oh, and he hipped me to Christy's great coverage too. She was all over this night, and she even got Don Cherry's autograph, which I must admit I'm a little pissed off about.


I mean, you don't get to have lower bowl seats to Steve Yzerman's retirement game AND get Don Cherry's autograph on the same day. It's just too much joy. It's like hearing that you'll get a chance to drink from the Stanley Cup, and when you get there, the liquid they're pouring into it is Johnny Walker Blue. I mean, for fuck's sake Christy, even if we keep it within the realm of the NHL, let's do a little comparison:


Christy: Hanging out at Stevie Y night and getting Don Cherry's autograph

Phil Kessel: At home with ball cancer.

See what I'm saying here?

Spread it around, doll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a pretty lucky night for me. I got sweet seats, Don Cherry autograph, a used puck was sent over the netting during warmups and my dad grabbed it for me, AND I got one of those t-shirts they throw out to fans during intermission. Best game/ceremony experience that I've ever had!