Monday, August 28, 2006

Hey all- sorry for the long absence.

It's been a crazy week, I flew to Florida and back, had a bunch of freelance assignments, and I guess I just figured that the number one priority in my life during the last week of August was not hockey, or a hockey related blog.

Fucked up, I know.

So, did I miss anything exciting?

Did Evgeni Malkin wake up, stretch his legs and maybe decide to play a little golf?!

For Christ's sake people, keep me involved on every little thing about this kid!

I predict he'll have a crappy year. NHL rookies are a hit or miss bunch under normal circumstances, and with rare exceptions (Sid the Kid) huge media pressure and fan expectations does exactly nothing to make them excel.

Plus, I hate the goddamn Penguins, and enjoy rooting for the misery of their fans. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the team to move, that's too much misery. The best case scenario in my mind is that they stay in Pittsburgh and continue to suck, in humiliating fashion.

By the way, if you only read hockey news, you might not be aware that the Penguins aren't the only big operation threatening to move out of Pittsburgh. Apparently, this guy Nelson Peltz, a billionaire investor with a reputation for costcutting (read: gutting) companies has had his sites set on Pittsburgh's Heinz company for quite a while now. From what I've read, if members of his group gain a majority on the board, they claim they won't move the company, but no one buys it. The vote was this week, and they've been stalling the announcement, saying it could take weeks to count all the votes properly.

To quote Nick Braden from Slap Shot:

"When they close the mill, the Chiefs'll fold...These people are gonna be broke. They're not gonna be going to hockey games."

We'll see.

On a brighter note, huge congrats to my pals Chris Regan and Eric Drysdale , who did their best 1980's New York Islanders impression with their fourth emmy win in a row last Sunday for their excellent work as writers on the Daily Show. Drysdale's site, by the way, is where I found the link to the Rick Moranis album from the last post, and is a funny, funny dude, currently working over at the Colbert Report. If you're bored at work, I highly reccomend his "items of some interest," along the right margin, if for no other reason, the sublime Seven Doug Hennings in a Station Wagon.

Happy August, everybody.

No comments: